Software Engineer, Search Team
Skroutz is an awarded digital brand committed to modern software development and creating top notch eCommerce solutions. Our company operates www.skroutz.gr, the leading product & price comparison engine in Greece, as well as two international projects in Turkey (www.alve.com) and the UK (www.scrooge.co.uk).
We are a team of young, passionate and restless tech aficionados that tackle the challenges of creating a wide range of user-oriented software solutions, involving a multitude of environments and innovational platforms.
Our belief is that we can make online shopping a flawless experience for everyone by empowering consumers and merchants with the necessary intuitive technologies. We achieve that by committing to modern software development and by actively creating bleeding edge eCommerce offerings and high performance web pages.
What We Are Looking For:
We are looking for a talented Software Engineer to join our Search Team.
The right candidate should have experience in designing and building successful systems; he/she should be comfortable in dealing with lots of moving pieces and large applications and have an eye for detail without losing sight of the big picture.
What We Want You To Do:
- Be part of a small, talented and motivated team, tackle hard problems and improve the experience of millions of customers.
- Support queries in three languages (Greek, English and Turkish).
- Devise custom result scoring and ranking mechanisms based on various features.
- Develop sophisticated mechanisms to index millions of products.
- Create or improve features such as autocomplete and spelling correction.
- Run experiments and track several metrics to measure success.
- Maintain a software stack that serves millions of requests per day
What Skills and Experience You Will Need:
- Domain experience in one of the following fields: information retrieval, natural language processing, or machine learning.
- Excellent knowledge of at least one programming language. We work mostly in Ruby, but we believe that languages can be learned. While familiarity with Ruby is a plus, we care much more about your general engineering skill.
- Experience with setting up statistically rigorous web experiments (such as A/B tests).
- Passion for readable, maintainable, testable, scalable and performant code.
- Good knowledge and understanding of SQL and relational databases. Familiarity with search engines (Elasticsearch) and NoSQL databases (MongoDB, Redis).
- Ability to navigate around an existing codebase and cooperatively improve it through code reviews.
- Experience with a version control system (preferably Git) and a CI workflow.
- Easy going attitude, good communication skills and team spirit.
It’s not expected that any single candidate would have expertise across all of these areas. What matters most is real-world experience in production systems, strong technical background, and eagerness to learn, build, and grow.
What We Offer:
- A modern workplace environment with great office benefits
- Private Health Insurance Plan
- Breakfast and Lunch (optional)
- Access to books and resources for professional and personal development
- Sponsored conference and seminar attendance